BLOG:

A Disappointing Day for Equal Rights

I'm personally dedicated to equal rights for all, regardless of sexual orientation, in Colorado and across the country. For me, it is a human rights issue and I'm very disappointed to learn the New York State Senate just voted down a measure to provide marriage equality in New York. Only 24 voted for equal rights with 38 voting against.

Beyond just the disappointment of this setback for equal rights in America, I am saddened that the vote was not even close. The margin of defeat suggests more than just a few Democrats voted against the measure. We are supposed to be the Party of human dignity and that means that we should always stand up for those who are being discriminated against. Equal rights is a bedrock principle of our Party and I cringe anytime I see us compromise on those principles.


Of course, it was not me who had to stand up and take that vote. But if it were me, I would have proudly cast my vote for equal rights and human dignity.


NY Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage
posted by Dan Pabon for Colorado HD4, 12:52 PM
Bookmark and Share