BLOG:

Fighting for the voice of the little guy

Last year, I had the honor of serving on President Obama's transition team in Washington.

During my time there, I worked to help draft the president's first executive order on transparency and ethics in government. I was so proud of our country the day the president signed the order into law because I felt the influence of special interests in politics had been handed a serious blow.

Taking part in that process of handing the reins of government back to the people inspired me to run for public office here in Colorado. I wanted to ensure that Northwest Denver, the community I have considered home my entire life, had a strong voice in addressing the challenges facing our state.

I mention all this because, as you may know, the Supreme Court handed down a ruling last week that will no doubt open floodgates of corporate special interest money into US and Colorado elections. This marks a huge step backward for a nation whose founding ideal was a government for the people, by the people.

Though I am deeply disappointed in the Court's decision, I believe this setback has served to highlight why Northwest Denver desperately needs a strong community voice in our State Capitol. The supporters of corporate democracy are fighting tooth and nail to increase their influence on our politics. Now, more than ever, the leaders we need most are the leaders who know us best.

I'm running for state representative because I always have been, and forever will be, committed to the future of Northwest Denver. Together, we can fight to take the bullhorn from corporate special interests and ensure that the people of Northwest Denver are heard.
posted by Dan Pabon for Colorado HD4, 8:59 AM
Bookmark and Share